home     about     contact     styling        

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

3 Easy Steps to Transition Into Natural Beauty

think dirty app review

When we think of skincare and makeup, our minds think of the beauty and appearance aspects. Both are completely valid. Who doesn't want to look their best? Except you might have heard that there's a lot of weird ingredients that beauty brands use and how all these ingredients can be absorbed into our skin impacting our health. I know, it's scary to think about. Sadly, the US doesn't regulate the beauty industry and there are way more ingredients banned in Europe than the US. So what can you do to take matters into your hands? After a year of detoxing my skincare and makeup I use, I found these three things made it easier to transition.


1. Think Dirty App

First off, get your mind out of the gutter. While it's a work in progress, this is the app you need to download ASAP! It has a database of thousands of products that you can enter by name or scan the SKU to give you a rating of how clean or dirty it is. Is every product in there? No! But you can submit the item for review. The best part is if something does rate dirty, it will give suggestions for cleaner options and breaks down the ingredients. Not going to lie, it's addicting and shocking.


2. Swap Your Deodorant

If there's one thing I wish everyone would swap, it would be their deodorant. Is it freaking hard (not to mention stinky)? ABSOLUTELY! But not only starting with the hardest swap in this whole natural beauty journey, it's the one I find extremely beneficial to our health. The reality is we are meant to sweat. That's healthy. It's normal. We have been conditioned into thinking we shouldn't sweat there. These conventional deodorants are just plugging up our pores and not allowing our bodies to detox. Deodorants are applied so closely to our lymphoids, which carry blood into our entire bloodstream, that it makes sense to try to use the most natural ingredients we can. If I can do it (girl with the worst armpits ever), you can do it. I shared my absolute favorite natural deodorant here.


3. Replace As You Run Out

Once you start scanning your items on Think Dirty, you might panic and want to throw everything out. That's normal. I just wouldn't encourage that. That will create overwhelm and that's not the goal here. So look at what you're running out of, do some research for alternatives and then toss and replace it. Repeat until you swap everything, which could take months. You might even shed some tears for your beloved item (or was that just me?) What can I say, but I get attached to products that have been working for a decade. Here are some of my go-to brands and places to shop:
I hope these tips help simplify transitioning into natural beauty! It is a process, but starting this has been empowering to take responsibility of my health. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out because this is something I could spend hours chatting about and wish I had someone to help me through the process. You don't have to do it alone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I try my best to respond to everyone!